Friday, February 6, 2009

Big Decisions

This entry is a copy of an e-mail my beautiful bride sent to a friend of ours contem- plating adoption. I was so impressed with it and moved by it that I decided to post it here: (Certain portions of the e-mail were redacted to preserve anonymity.)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I remember Annie and Barret kept asking me if I had "thought about it yet" (i.e., "Were we GOING to do it?") : ) Tom had to call off the dogs, so to speak, because I could NOT wrap my mind around it in that state!


I understand about thinking "too much" and being frightened of thinking "too little" too. Could you ever imagine while taking care of just one how you were ever going to care for more? I could not have imagined doing what we are doing now, even 5 years ago (when I was younger!).


We always think that our cups of life are FULL and that we couldn't possibly add or change what we currently deal with. But when we are doing the will of the Lord it just seems that He expands our time, our love, and our ideas of what life would be like...


From THIS side of it (signed, sealed, delivered, I'm yours!) the gains have so far outweighed the costs (gravity) that it is hard for me to go back in my mind to thinking it was such a "Big" decision. But now, in the wake of having been used of the Lord to ransom a life from a fatherless state to what it is now... to bringing a dear soul under the sound of the gospel, to learning to surrender ourselves to the care of children who were once "the least of these"... well, it is just a privilege. Now, the question is, "How wide can we open our arms?"


With a full heart of love for you,


Vicki


P.S. - So far for us it has been a win-win situation for US, our adopted girls, our older kids...everyone has been changed for the good.


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

When I read things like this written by my wife, I'm not only touched to the core, but find myself falling deeper in love with her. I'm confident she wouldn't have to do anything to cause that to happen, but it just so happens that when she does do it, my heart misses a beat (yet again). I pinch myself that God gave me to her.

Ever at the mercy of Jesus,

Tom

No comments: