Sunday, December 7, 2008

Sleeping Like A Baby

Last week I returned home from a long, hard day at work which began in the early morning hours, capped off by a late evening of gathering together with some folks at the church. After greeting Victoria and Barret in the family room, I started my usual walk down the hallway toward our bedroom and could hear the faint sound of some slow, soothing harp music coming from Poppy's bedroom. The lyric free song was a tune I immediately recognized as "God Is So Good". Victoria bought this CD for the girls to listen to as night time "settling" music that would also serve to embed them with some familiar tunes that may carry them through life. As I came closer to Poppy's room I could see that the door was cracked with a soft light lit, so I slowly and quietly pushed it open to see if she was asleep. My eyes were struck by the unbelievably relaxing pose she and our little cat, Penelope, struck on the lower bunk. There was something about that moment; the lighting, music, feline comfort, peaceful child, warmth, etc. that impregnated me with pause while all my stress and tension vaporized into obscurity. I tiptoed toward Poppy, leaned over, kissed her forehead and knelt in thankful prayer for this perfect and providential point in time. I then gently walked out of the room to grab my camera and digitally capture it forever.

Times like this secure my confidence in God's appointment for Victoria and me. How could we ever desire anything else?  Yes, God is so good.

Sleeping like a baby tonight,

Tom

No comments: