Saturday, December 11, 2010

Broken Hearts

I'm so glad that God created hearts that break. Mines broken right now and, in a very strange way, I'm thankful it is. I'm sitting in the International Terminal of the San Francisco Airport, on my way again to the other side of the world, China. While leaving the house this morning and hugging all my children there (Barret, Piper, Poppy & Willow), and then squeezing my love, Victoria, in the front seat of our car, I felt that feeling no one wants to feel, but in way you do. Good-byes are hard, separation is unnatural, and distance isn't welcome in the human spirit. That was all too evident in our household today as most of us held back tears while waving "so long" and at the same time saying "I'll miss you". Imagine what it would be like if when we left the ones we loved it was just merely a "so long" without the heartache, or never saying "I'll miss you" because you really won't. That would be a sad state of affairs, that would be numbness, that would be inhumane.

So, while they just called up my flight to Shanghai over the loudspeaker system, my heart is crying out loud "I'll miss you", "I love you", and "I want to come home".

"Thank you, God, for hearts that break."


No comments: